We’re making progress! In the third part of this six part series, we started getting some content on the page by creating the header component that will sit at the top of our home page and single photo pages. Right now, if you change into your photo directory and run gatsby develop, you should see something like this:
In this fourth part, we’ll put together the grid layout for the homepage. Then, all we’ll have left to do is build the individual photo pages, add social tags, and deploy.
In Part 2 of this series, we mocked up the layout we’re looking to achieve and walked through how GatsbyJS handles data with GraphQL. We then practiced running a GraphQL query in the IDE to make sure data was returning.
In Part 3, we’re going to start building. We’ll put this thing together in three parts:
Header component present on all pages
Grid photo layout for the homepage
Individual photo layout for single pages
Let’s start working on the header component.
Oh – also, if you happen to be following along and building this thing while we go through it, would you mind tweeting me (@jeremeyd) and just showing off what you have so far? I’ve received a few DMs from folks, which is pretty awesome!
I’m in the process of creating an Instagram-esque clone using GatsbyJS and WordPress.com. We’re walking through the process in a series of steps.
Previously, we got the basics setup and installed some dependencies we’ll need later on. Today, we’re going to walk through the desired layout and talk a bit about how GatsbyJS handles data using GraphQL.
In a recent post, I talked about some recent experimentation I did with GatsbyJS and the WordPress.com API. While it wasn’t quite a fit for rebuilding my personal site, I wanted to build something else with it. So, I elected to build an Instagram-esque photo sharing site. I thought it might be helpful to share a bit of the process so I’ll be walking through the following steps:
If you’re not familiar with Gatsby, it bills itself as a “blazing-fast static site generator for React.” Having used React to work on Calypso and build some other small projects here and there, I figured it would be a pretty fun experiment.
Obviously, November has come and gone, and yet, you’re still seeing a traditional WordPress theme on my personal site. I ended up not launching my GatsbyJS site (although it is more or less built!) for a few reasons. I’ll touch on those reasons as well as my experience working with GatsbyJS.
On Friday, I put some finishing touches on Theodoro (I know—terrible name) a React-based Pomodoro timer and todo list project I’ve been working on. It’s not perfect, and I’m sure there are some improvements I could make. The goal of the project was always to learn about React (with everyone’s first project—a todo list). At this point, I’ve gotten what I wanted out of the project so it’s time to put it out in the wild and move on.
I wanted to breakdown some of the trickier elements I ran into along with some next steps that I’m taking in particular.
I’ve never been shy about talking about this. I’m a bit believer in sharing goals out in the open versus keep them close to the chest. I thought I would share my initial thought process and how I’m currently approaching the goal for anyone that might be interested. One warning before we begin—this is just my experience. Your mileage may vary.
Again, this week’s code challenge comes from my trusty favorite, Coderbyte: