I’m going to start publishing a monthly recap at the end of each month detailing my habits, projects, and tinkerings. I’ve done this before, but it’s never really stuck. Inspired by Belle Beth Cooper’s monthly reviews (I’m mimicking her format), I’m hoping this will stick. You’ll be able to find them all here.
This month was a bit of an oddball because I was traveling quite a bit. First, I went to Park City, Utah for the Automattic Grand Meetup. It was an absolute blast! From there, I traveled down to Austin, Texas for a wedding. Then, Charlotte and I stayed in Austin the entire next week for a vacation and explored the city.
What were my goals for October?
- Make Drink for Pink a success. This was our first year running our little non-profit in Denver, Colorado. October is our big month since it’s Breast Cancer Awareness month. We don’t have the final numbers yet, but it looks like we’ll come in somewhere between $5,000-$6,000. I consider that a success!
- Publish a coding challenge each week. I missed one week during October (on vacation). Otherwise, I nailed it. 80% success.
- Put out a code-related project. Fail. I was doing relatively well with this in August/September. I put out a few code-related projects, but my progress has stalled since. In November, I’m going to launch a new project related to resumes/interviewing that hopefully will be an awesome resource.
What habits did I focus on?
I didn’t really set a habit to focus on for the month. However, here are some metrics that I tracked:
- Workouts: 20 (Goal of 20) – All tracked here
- 28-Day Average Steps: 11,986 (Goal of 10,000)
What did I publish?
I only had one freelance piece published, but it was a bit of a doozy:
I had to learn Google Apps Script first in order to write the piece. I should have 2-3 pieces published in November.
Books I Read
- Mistakes Were Made (But Not By Me)
- The Martian
- Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter
Looking forward to November
Goals I want to complete:
- Publish 12 total blog posts here on my personal blog
- Finish the Full-Stack Treehouse course and Ember.js
- Publish 4 code challenges
- Publish 2 freelance pieces
Habit I want to focus on:
Meditation – I tried focusing on this earlier in the year and making it a habit. Unfortunately, it didn’t stick. Success would be 20 days of meditating (using Coach.me to track).
Featured Image: A morning trail run in Park City, Utah