By day, I work at Automattic. At nights and on weekends, I’m often pursuing other side projects whether they’re code-related or involve building a non-profit. You can see a sample of my personal side projects below.
In 2015, I co-founded Drink for Pink with my friend and co-founder Alex Mozota. Drink for Pink is a 501(c)3 non-profit based in Denver. We partner with local organizations (mainly breweries) to raise money for breast cancer research. Three things set us apart from other charities:
- All of the money stays local here in Colorado.
- We’re completely transparent with where the money is going. We don’t take a dime for salary or anything like that.
- We’re 100% focused on research and supporting awesome labs doing amazing research.
So far, we’ve raised over $30,000 and counting..
I’m currently putting together an Instagram clone using GatsbyJS and the WordPress.com API. It’s built using React with GraphQL queries. I’m blogging about the entire process including the design and components here.
Blockable is a calendar that helps you plan your day. It’s related to some concepts I picked up from Cal Newport in his book Deep Work. Every day, I block out specific time periods on my calendar and allocate them to a specific chunk of work. This tool is designed to replace my paper version.
As for technologies, Create React App provided the initial setup. React and Redux form the backbone of the project. Component tests are written in Jest using bits of Chai and Enzyme (for
shallow respectively). React Big Calendar provides the full calendar for viewing (many thanks!). Flexbox made the CSS much easier to write for mobile views.
The project is available live here.
Theodoro was a simple todo list and Pomodoro timer in one. I built it with React when I was first picking up the framework. It’s not perfect, and I’m sure there are some improvements I could make. The goal of the project was always to learn about React (with everyone’s first project—a todo list). At this point, I’ve gotten what I wanted out of the project so it’s time to put it out in the wild and move on.
- Make Every Word Count: How to Nail Your Next Presentation (published on Zapier)
- How to Better Remember and Make Use of What You Read (published on Zapier)
- The modern mentor: A guide to courting influencers (published on Crew and The Next Web)
- How to Learn Anything: A real-world guide to mastering any new skill (published on Todoist)
- What a Workout Does to Your Brain (published on Crew)
- Yes, The Job Landscape is Changing: Here’s What to Do About It (published on Todoist and Fast Company)