If you follow me on Twitter, you’ll know that my November project was to rebuild my personal site using GatsbyJS and the WordPress.com API:
If you’re not familiar with Gatsby, it bills itself as a “blazing-fast static site generator for React.” Having used React to work on Calypso and build some other small projects here and there, I figured it would be a pretty fun experiment.
Obviously, November has come and gone, and yet, you’re still seeing a traditional WordPress theme on my personal site. I ended up not launching my GatsbyJS site (although it is more or less built!) for a few reasons. I’ll touch on those reasons as well as my experience working with GatsbyJS.
One of my goals for 2016 was to ship stuff, quite a few things in fact. We’re close to half-way through the year already, but I finally shipped a thing—a simple React todo list!
On Friday, I put some finishing touches on Theodoro (I know—terrible name) a React-based Pomodoro timer and todo list project I’ve been working on. It’s not perfect, and I’m sure there are some improvements I could make. The goal of the project was always to learn about React (with everyone’s first project—a todo list). At this point, I’ve gotten what I wanted out of the project so it’s time to put it out in the wild and move on.
I wanted to breakdown some of the trickier elements I ran into along with some next steps that I’m taking in particular.